|ARTIST OF THE MONTH: INTERVIEW WITH SHELLEY THOMAS|
|Thursday, 01 January 2009 00:00|
Shelley Thomas works with metal, designing and making almost anything in iron.
- Why iron? Isn't it a material too difficult to work? (I am thinking of less hard
- What is your daily routine like? Can you describe us one of your ordinary working days? I start at about 7am... coffee and usually have several pieces of work on the go...a bed, a staircase for a restaurant...a necklace. There are other smiths working in my forge, sometimes working on their own projects; sometimes on mine. I may work with the furnace, anvil and hammer or with the oxy/acetylene torch. We, the smiths, stop and share a fruit salad lunch with the other artists in the community. I love the discussions and friendships there. I am usually very tired and dirty at the end of the day. I will
- What is your studio like? My forge is in Kew Bridge Steam Museum. It is about 150 years old… lots of ancient tools hanging on the wools: it is wonderful, very
- Which are the main tools to work iron? Coal and gas furnaces, hammers. hand and power, anvil flame torches, welders, angle grinders, sanders/files. The metal is worked hot, so big gauntlets. Silver and gold are worked cold. We use the same techniques, but different temperatures. I do some work combining iron, gold and semi-precious stones.
- How about price? Is an iron work accessible for a middle-classed person? An average bed is £4000…, most of my customers save for their piece...a few are rich!!
- Where do you show your pieces? Are current fairs, contests, galleries and museums good ways to spread art now days? I show at Fire and Iron Gallery in the UK (the best!!!) check their website. I show annually at EROTICA in London 22nd Nov and I do the occasional craft fair. I have had a website for about 8 years and I am finally getting sales from it. Most of my sales are by word of mouth. I have been making for 20 years now.
- Some favourite artists? Why? Painters.......abstract expressionist (mostly USA)......3D... Jujol... Chillida... Miro...Gaudi...Picasso(WOW...just realised they are all Spanish) I also really enjoy 'outsider art' I subscribe to the magazine 'Raw Vision'... It is magic and exciting.
- A favourite legend or tale? The Happy Prince by Oscar Wilde.
- A wish for next year? I get the funding to give me time to work on my new project... and that Barak Obama is true to his word and makes some big fruitful changes.
- And for next century? World Peace and “Sagrada Familia” gets finished!!!
|Last Updated ( Sunday, 20 September 2009 19:25 )|