If renovating your outdoor space for summer is on your to-do list, you’d be wise to consider an eco-friendly alternative to wood. For those seeking a dramatic and durable outdoor living space without the ongoing maintenance and repairs required with wood, a new generation of composite decking is proving an ideal alternative and quickly gaining fans among homeowners across the U.K.
According to a recent nationwide survey*, Brits cite durability (69%), quality (67%), and low maintenance (61%) as three of the most important attributes of the materials they choose for their outdoor living spaces. High-performance and hassle-free, composite decking delivers beautifully on all of these fronts.
“Today’s homeowners want to spend their time enjoying their outdoor living spaces – rather than maintaining them,” says Adam Zambanini, vice president of marketing for Trex, the world’s largest manufacturer of wood-alternative decking. “High-performance composite decking, like Trex, stands up to weather and day-to-day wear, and resists fading, stains and mold far better than wood or PVC. And, it’s made from recycled content, making it an ideal choice for today’s eco-conscious consumers.”
Following are just a few of the reasons more and more homeowners are turning to high-performance composite decking to create the gardens of their dreams:
• Durability – Spilled food, dropped barbecue tools and wet plant pots are no match for composite decking. High-performance composite materials resist fading, staining, scratching and mold – and won’t rot, warp, crack or splinter, regardless of harsh weather conditions or daily wear and tear.
• Low Maintenance – Unlike wood, composites require minimal upkeep. You never need to worry about sanding, staining or painting. With Trex decking, simply soap-and-water is all that’s needed to maintain the peak performance and beauty for decades.
• Aesthetics – Featuring high-definition wood grain patterns and rich, saturated colors, today’s composite decking looks more natural than ever before and boasts a vibrancy that remains unchanged for years. Colour options range from deep earth tones and warm umbers to spicy reds and pristine greys, including tropically-inspired boards that feature the distinct streaked look of exotic hardwoods.
• Eco-friendly – Composite decking provides the look and feel of real wood, but without the environmental impact of deforestation. The entire Trex decking portfolio, for example, is manufactured from more than 95 percent recycled content, including recycled plastic from many common household items combined with reclaimed industrial wood and sawdust. In fact, Trex keeps more than 400 million pounds of plastic and wood scrap out of landfills each year and has never felled a tree in the making of its products.
• Long-term Value – The cost and time required to maintain a traditional wood deck can far exceed the upfront investment in a composite deck. Consider the cumulative expense of power-washing, sanding, staining, painting and refurbishing a wood deck over the course of 10 years, let alone the 25 years that a Trex deck is warrantied to endure. When it comes to your outdoor living space, it’s worth thinking long-term.
For more information about composite decking or to locate your nearest Trex dealer, visit www.trex.com.